Locking Your Car Doors was going to go on a week long tour up the west coast. Emily took time off of work and saved up a bunch of money for it. Then we had to cancel at the last minute. At that point in our friendship I had never seen her so mad, so I wrote her this letter.
Warner Bros. Records / Reprise Records – Talent Scout Application
Name: Ryan Avery
Month and day of your birthday: October 14th
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: 8505 S. Mill Ave. Tempe, AZ 85284
Phone #s - Home: 480-897-0692 Cell: 480-209-3947
1. How long have you lived in your current market? 2 years
2. Do you have access to a computer / Internet? Yes
3. What music genres do you listen to and please give an example of an artist in that genre.
1. Ska [the slackers]
2. Rock [the Dresden dolls]
3. Experimental/Noise [the flying luttenbachers]
4. Name 5 of your favorite artists:
1. The Aquabats
2. The Beastie Boys
3. They Might Be Giants
4. The Blue Meanies
5. Name 3 of your favorite albums:
1. The Tiki Tones – “Suburban Savage”
2. BS 2000 – “Simply Mortified”
3. Quintron – “Are You Ready For an Organ Solo?”
6. Name 2 of your favorite record labels:
1. Skin Graft Records
2. Asianman Records
7. Name your favorite all time artist / album:
Artist: The Aquabats
Album: The Aquabats vs. the Floating Eye of Death
8. What are your favorite record stores (include city located)?
1. Eastside Records [Tempe, AZ]
2. Rockaway Records [mesa, AZ]
3. Zia Records [Tempe, phoenix, Scottsdale, chandler, AZ]
9. What are your favorite local clubs (include city located)?
1. Phix [phoenix, AZ]
2. Modified Arts [phoenix, AZ]
3. The Paper Heart Gallery [phoenix, AZ]
10. What are your favorite local bands / artists?
1. The Dietrichs
2. The Bada Bings
3. Brodie Hubbard
11. What are your favorite radio stations (internet, etc. included)?
1. Turn up the Ska [http://www.turnuptheska.com]
2. The Blaze [http://www.theblaze1260.com]
12. Do you currently work for a music company? If yes, in what capacity? No
13. Do you currently have a job / internship / attend school? If yes, describe. No
15. What websites or publications do you read / visit most frequently to find out about local bands and shows?
16. How many MP3’s do you download / CDs purchased per month?
CDs – anywhere from 2-10 a month [depends on how much money I have]
MP3’s – 20-100 maybe more? [I never really thought about how many mp3s I download each month.]
17. What are the 3 most recent music events you attended?
1. July 14th Workshirt Wonder w/I voted for kodos, class act, fancy pants and danger team 7 @Phix
2. July 10th The Aquabats w/Bad Credit, Fourbanger and heritage @The Marquee Theater
3. July 5th Horse [The Band] w/the minibosses, pistolita, bluewall audience and angie tanlines @Modified Arts
18. How often do you see live music?
2-5 times a week
Give us a quick explanation about yourself, what you do and why you would be a great scout for Warner Bros. Records / Reprise Records.
My name is Ryan; I have been buying music for 12 years and seeing live music for 7 years. Although I have really only been an active part of the local music scene for 4 years. For 2 years I have owned, maintained and updated www.azska.com which is a pretty popular local music website for Jamaican music. I am in an experimental/ artistic/ noise/ dance group called locking your car doors, we haven’t been around too long [only a year] but it is a great project of mine. I have my own local promotion company called “Majestic” I work with mostly smaller touring acts and local bands but I have worked with larger performers and Promotion Company’s. I have been doing this for 2 ½ years now and I love it. I went to art school for 3 years and gained a pretty great digital art talent. So I design concert flyers and posters for many of the local shows happening in this state. I know the local ska music scene in Arizona better than anyone else right now but that doesn’t mean I am close minded. You can also find me at the local punk rock pubs and downtown art gallery’s seeing all kinds of music.