July 28th, 2004
July 28th, 2004
Locking Your Car Doors was going to go on a week long tour up the west coast. Emily took time off of work and saved up a bunch of money for it. Then we had to cancel at the last minute. At that point in our friendship I had never seen her so mad, so I wrote her this letter.
July 27th, 2004
July 27th, 2004
July 24th, 2004
July 20th, 2004
July 19th, 2004
July 15th, 2004
Warner Bros. Records / Reprise Records – Talent Scout Application
Name: Ryan Avery
Month and day of your birthday: October 14th
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: 8505 S. Mill Ave. Tempe, AZ 85284
Phone #s - Home: 480-897-0692 Cell: 480-209-3947
1. How long have you lived in your current market? 2 years
2. Do you have access to a computer / Internet? Yes
3. What music genres do you listen to and please give an example of an artist in that genre.
1. Ska [the slackers]
2. Rock [the Dresden dolls]
3. Experimental/Noise [the flying luttenbachers]
4. Name 5 of your favorite artists:
1. The Aquabats
2. The Beastie Boys
3. They Might Be Giants
4. The Blue Meanies
5. Name 3 of your favorite albums:
1. The Tiki Tones – “Suburban Savage”
2. BS 2000 – “Simply Mortified”
3. Quintron – “Are You Ready For an Organ Solo?”
6. Name 2 of your favorite record labels:
1. Skin Graft Records
2. Asianman Records
7. Name your favorite all time artist / album:
Artist: The Aquabats
Album: The Aquabats vs. the Floating Eye of Death
8. What are your favorite record stores (include city located)?
1. Eastside Records [Tempe, AZ]
2. Rockaway Records [mesa, AZ]
3. Zia Records [Tempe, phoenix, Scottsdale, chandler, AZ]
9. What are your favorite local clubs (include city located)?
1. Phix [phoenix, AZ]
2. Modified Arts [phoenix, AZ]
3. The Paper Heart Gallery [phoenix, AZ]
10. What are your favorite local bands / artists?
1. The Dietrichs
2. The Bada Bings
3. Brodie Hubbard
11. What are your favorite radio stations (internet, etc. included)?
1. Turn up the Ska [http://www.turnuptheska.com]
2. The Blaze [http://www.theblaze1260.com]
12. Do you currently work for a music company? If yes, in what capacity? No
13. Do you currently have a job / internship / attend school? If yes, describe. No
15. What websites or publications do you read / visit most frequently to find out about local bands and shows?
16. How many MP3’s do you download / CDs purchased per month?
CDs – anywhere from 2-10 a month [depends on how much money I have]
MP3’s – 20-100 maybe more? [I never really thought about how many mp3s I download each month.]
17. What are the 3 most recent music events you attended?
1. July 14th Workshirt Wonder w/I voted for kodos, class act, fancy pants and danger team 7 @Phix
2. July 10th The Aquabats w/Bad Credit, Fourbanger and heritage @The Marquee Theater
3. July 5th Horse [The Band] w/the minibosses, pistolita, bluewall audience and angie tanlines @Modified Arts
18. How often do you see live music?
2-5 times a week
Give us a quick explanation about yourself, what you do and why you would be a great scout for Warner Bros. Records / Reprise Records.
My name is Ryan; I have been buying music for 12 years and seeing live music for 7 years. Although I have really only been an active part of the local music scene for 4 years. For 2 years I have owned, maintained and updated www.azska.com which is a pretty popular local music website for Jamaican music. I am in an experimental/ artistic/ noise/ dance group called locking your car doors, we haven’t been around too long [only a year] but it is a great project of mine. I have my own local promotion company called “Majestic” I work with mostly smaller touring acts and local bands but I have worked with larger performers and Promotion Company’s. I have been doing this for 2 ½ years now and I love it. I went to art school for 3 years and gained a pretty great digital art talent. So I design concert flyers and posters for many of the local shows happening in this state. I know the local ska music scene in Arizona better than anyone else right now but that doesn’t mean I am close minded. You can also find me at the local punk rock pubs and downtown art gallery’s seeing all kinds of music.
July 14th, 2004
July 09th, 2004
July 07th, 2004
July 05th, 2004