Someone I’m friends with on Facebook just posted this flyer which is for the very first aquabats show I ever went to. A flood of amazing memories have just hit me in the best way! Here are a few note worthy moments from this show.
1. First time seeing the post toasties. Powerful female pop punk in the same vein as ramones/screeching weasel…etc I was 13 years old and they were all like the girls I dreamed of someday being friends with.
2. Seeing one of the few turbo fuckers performances. If I remember right they were kind of like the band anal cunt but not as clever/funny/gross. The crowd hated them so much that they sat down and held their ears.
3. This was summer of 1999, the aquabats were booked a mini tour to try out some new material from the floating eye of death album and its still my favorite thing the aquabats have done musically.
4. The aquabats were still opening their shows with fog machines, the professor, firebreathing mcbc and the song playdough.
5. The aquabats kept making fun of the turbo fuckers throughout their set and kept saying the name wrong for example “turbo effers” “turbo fetchers”…
6.I can’t remember the villains name exactly from this night but I do remember it was a lazy character. Just a friend in a cape and devil mask. He started a food fight with the aquabats that was a mix of health food and junk food.
7. The food fight ended with the bat commander throwing a live squid into a ceiling fan and squid parts going all over the venue. There was a thick aludgey paste on the ground after the show from all the gaterade, cupcakes, marshmellows, fruit…etc. I can honestly say this is one of the few moments in my life that I can look back on and say “I would not be who I am today, if it was not for this”